I’ll be back around the middle of September with a full episode and will resume my weekly schedule.
Tunes Listings for Podcasts are updating slowly
It’s a known problem at apple. They are having issues keeping listings updated. They know about it and are working on it.
The iTunes store listing and what appears in your feed are two different things. People that subscribe to your feed in iTunes will get the new episodes as you post them but the listing at iTunes can lag by a few days (or up to a week or so) behind your feed. This is normal.
People get the wrong impression that your RSS feed PUSiHES to iTunes. It does not. iTunes (when it sees fit) PULLS your feed. It asks for your feed when it gets around to it and PULLS your feed to update your listing. Your subscribers (even in iTunes) subscribe to your feed and after that never really touch iTunes (the service) again. They are just subscribed to your feed directly in the iTunes software. As long as when you publish an episode, you get it if you are subscribed, everything is working. It works the same as every other directory or app.
There is nothing we or you can do to make that faster. It takes whatever time it takes and if you want it to go faster you have to go to iTunes and refresh your feed manually.
The answer to that question is… I don’t know, but I’m going to try it for the summer.
That’s right, Podcast Help Desk is on Vacation. I’m taking the summer *mostly* off from this podcast. Instead of trying to put out an episode every Friday during the busy, project filled summer, I’m going to just say, the episodes will come out when they come out.
My plan is to write more on this site. Podcast news, Tips, Tricks and other tidbits. AND, I will put out some episodes as I get them done, or something really important happens that I need to talk about.
So, is this a good idea? I don’t know, but, as I said, I’m going to give it a try for the summer.
Stay up to date by subscribing to my text blog feed at http://podcasthelpdesk.com/feed/ in a feed reader.
If you would like an invite to the Blubrry PowerPress webinar that I will be doing every other week, email me here at email@example.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org
I sat down and had a great conversation with Shawn Thorpe from HyperNonsense.com, PodcasterNews.com, Shawn.mx and GeekNewsCentral.com. On top of all that, Shawn is a colleague of mine over at blubrry support.
Follow Shawn on Twiter @shawno
We talked about all kinds of things.
-and more podcasting 🙂
Quick update on Google Play Music Podcasts.
Also talk about some new stuff at Blubrry.com
Full show next week with a special guest I think you will really enjoy!
6 things to Uncomplicate your podcasting
1. Organize your episode show prep
2. Once you have your recording setup figured out check it off the list
3. Once you have your RSS feed / website set up, check it off the list
4. Don’t try to game the system. Just make sure you have great content and market it normally. No need to worry about things like N&N or review snapping.
5. Once you have a workflow that works for you, stick to it.
6. Have Fun. If it’s a struggle, you won’t want to stick to it.
Danny Stern (no relation to Howard) and the Art Dealer Show
New player is here!
To use the new blubrry player, you have to be a blubrry hosting customer (my promo code is HELPDESK for a free month).
For the time being, to use the player you have to do it as an embed.
Post your episode as normal.
Let your blubrry listing update (normally a couple of hours or less)
Go into Podcaster Dashboard at blubrry.com and go to “manage episdoes”
In there you will see “get embed” by the episode you want the player for.
Copy that link
Paste that link into your site.
If you are using PowerPress, enable the media embed box in the basic settings. You will then have a box to paste the embed code in your podcast episode box in WordPress posts.
I will be hosting Geek News Central on Friday April 15th. Come check me out doing someone else’s show 🙂 Should be a good time!
New PHD Slack group
I’m starting a listener slack group. It’s going to be kind of a free (yes free) mastermind group. I’m going to limit the number of people in it to 10 (plus me) for now. If you would be interested in joining, email me PodcastHelpDesk@gmail.com and I will send you an invite. It will be a way to interact with me and fellow podcasters that listen to my show. Should be an interesting experiment.
Some of the biggest lies in podcasting
– You must have a big launch.
– New & Noteworthy at iTunes will guarantee success in podcasting
– You only have 8 weeks to be in N&N
– Someone can be #1 in N&N – Daniel J. Lewis’ Article
– You must Pay BIG BUCKS to learn how to podcast
– You need a Heil PR40 Microphone to podcast (substitute any other Mic)
– You don’t need a Website to podcast. Just use XXXX Hosting service instead.
– WordPress feeds are unstable
– You need a different feed for each different directory
Testing a couple of new Blubrry products on PodcastHelpDesk.com
Apple introduced a new way to manage your Podcasts on iTunes. Access the site here: http://podcastsconnect.apple.com
I go over what you should use it for and what you should NOT use it for.
– Submit your podcast to the iTunes podcasts directory via the web rather than the iTunes desktop app
– Ability to change the feed address that iTunes pulls to your LISTING (listing only, see below)
– Another vaildator for podcast feeds
– Ability to really mess up your listing
– Must have an Apple ID to use (including a credit card on file with Apple)
– The “mirror” feed URL is mostly useless and in my opinion, should not be used. Will cause confusion.
– If someone else submitted your podcast, you can not move it to your Apple ID (yet)
– Changing the RSS feed has no effect on your subscribers. Still need to do a 301 redirect from your old feed to the new feed to get your subscribers to move to the new feed.
Just remember, iTunes is important, but it’s not “podcasting”. At most, it’s 50% of most podcaster’s audience (some more some less). Don’t just rely on iTunes. Be everywhere.
I will be talking about the iTunes changes next week.
I had a nice chat with Colin Gray from Podcraft and The Podcast Host. Another podcaster about podcasting.
I guest hosted The PowerPress Podcast this week. Lots of info about the new Apple Podcasts connect and the new version of PowerPress (Please update!) Also, if you love PowerPress, Please rate and review PowerPress here: https://wordpress.org/support/view/plugin-reviews/powerpress?rate=5#postform
I also co-hosted The New Media Show #120 with Todd Cochrane this morning. The show should be out by the time you listen to this or it will be soon thereafter.
If you want to check out how podcasting was “Back in the day” check out my latest Mike Dell’s world where i kicked it old school. Podcasting Live to the Hard Drive like back in 2005 🙂